Thursday, May 28, 2009

CLEAN UP DIVE TUNCURRY 13TH December 2008

We participated in International Cleanup Day as part of Project AWARE in September and cleaned up the Forster side of the channel. This one was simply a club event and it was planned we clean up the Tuncurry side of the channel and then have a barbecue lunch which would be our Christmas party and wrap up for the year.

The night before a thunderstorm shook our house and heavy rain pelted my newly planted vegetable patch so the next morning I telephoned prior to leaving to confirm it was still on. You may recall my buddy and I had buoyancy problems due to the shallow depth of the channel on the Forster side. I ended up lugging two rocks around with me before just snorkelling. This time I left my tank, BC and regulator at home. When we met up at the dive shop I found out the Tuncurry side is much deeper.

It was still sprinkling when we geared up and I stubbornly stuck to snorkelling whilst everyone else duck dived under the water. This meant I snorkelled alone which was not as much fun. I concentrated on the channel wall where debris accumulated particularly around the slipway. I found a fan belt and plenty of plastic while others came up with mats and even signs from road works. John came up with a few vintage bottles for his collection. Back at the dive shop the pile was photographed to record the findings.

The rain had stopped however the proposed Christmas barbecue lunch was cancelled due to the sodden ground.

HEATHER ARMOUR

No comments:

Post a Comment